Multimodal Grounding for Virtual Humans and Robots
- AhlsÚn, Elisabeth, Allwood, Jens & Nivre, Joakim Feedback in Different Social Activities. In P. Juel-Henrichsen (ed.) Nordic Research on Relations between Utterances. Copenhagen Working Papers in LSP, 3. 2003, ISBN, pp.9-37
- Allwood, J., Nivre, J., & AhlsÚn,
E. On the Semantics and Pragmatics of Linguistic Feedback in Journal of Semantics, 1992, pp. 1-26. Also in Gothenburg Papers in Theoretical Linguistics 64, University of G÷teborg, Dept of Linguistics.
- Allwood, Jens & Cerrato, Loredana. A Study of Gestural Feedback Expressions. First Nordic Symposium on Multimodal Communication. Paggio P. Jokinen, K. J÷nsson, A. (eds). Copenhagen , 23-24 September 2003. ISSN 1600-339X, pp. 7-22.
- Allwood, J., Cerrato, L., Jokinen, K., Paggio, P., & Navarretta,
C. The MUMIN Anotation Scheme for Feedback, Turn Management and Sequencing. In Proceedings from the Seconde Nordic Conference on Multimodal Communication. Gothenburg Papers in Theoretical Linguistics 92. G÷teborg University, Dept of Linguistics,
- M. Baker, T. Hansen, R. Joiner and D. Traum, ``The role of
grounding in collaborative learning tasks'', in Pierre Dillenbourg, editor, ``Collaborative Learning:
Cognitive and Computational Approaches'', Elsevier Science Publishers
B. V., pages 31--63, 1999.
- Brennan, S. E. & Hulteen, E. (1995). Interaction and feedback in a spoken language system: A theoretical framework. Knowledge-Based Systems, 8, 143-151.
- Brennan, S. E.
(1998). The grounding problem in conversation with and through computers. In S. R. Fussell & R. J. Kreuz (Eds.), Social and cognitive psychological approaches to interpersonal communication (pp. 201-225) . Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum
- Brennan, S. E. (2005). How conversation is shaped by visual and spoken
evidence. In J. Trueswell & M. Tanenhaus (Eds.), Approaches to
studying world-situated language use: Bridging the
language-as-product and language-action traditions (pp. 95-129).
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Harry Bunt, Roser Morante, Simon Keizer
An empirically based computational model of grounding in dialogue. In Proceedings of the Eighth SIGDIAL Workshop on Discourse and Dialogue (SIGDIAL 2007). Antwerp, 1-2 September, 2007, pp. 283-290.
- Cahn, J. E., & Brennan, S. E. (1999). A psychological model of grounding and repair in dialog. Proceedings, AAAI Fall Symposium on Psychological Models of Communication in Collaborative Systems (pp. 25-33). North Falmouth, MA: American Association for Artificial Intelligence.
- Clark, H. H., & Marshall, C. R. (1981). Definite reference and
mutual knowledge. In A. K. Joshi, B. Webber, & I. Sag (Eds.),
Elements of discourse understanding (pp. 10-63). Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.
- Clark, H. H., & Wilkes-Gibbs, D. (1986). Referring
as a collaborative process. Cognition , 22, 1-39.
- Clark, H. H., & Schaefer, E. F. (1989).Contributing to discourse. Cognitive Science , 13, 259-294.
- Clark, H. H., and Brennan, S. A. (1991).Grounding
in communication. In L.B. Resnick, J.M. Levine, & S.D. Teasley
(Eds.). Perspectives on socially shared cognition . Washington: APA
- Clark, H. H. (1996). Using language. Cambridge: Cambridge
- David DeVault and Matthew Stone Managing ambiguities across utterances in dialogue The 2007 Workshop on the Semantics and Pragmatics of Dialogue (DECALOG 2007), University of Trento, Italy, May, 2007.
- David DeVault and Matthew
Stone Scorekeeping in an Uncertain Language Game The 10th Workshop on the Semantics and Pragmatics of
Dialogue (brandial 2006), University of Potsdam, Germany,
- David DeVault, Iris Oved, and Matthew
Stone, Societal Grounding is Essential
to Meaningful Language Use Proceedings of the Twenty-First National Conference on Artificial
Intelligence (AAAI-06), Boston, Massachusetts, July, 2006.
- Pierre Dillenbourg, David Traum & Daniel Schneider Grounding in
Multi-modal Task-Oriented Collaboration, in proceedings of the EuroAI&Education Conference, September 1996.
- Pierre Dillenbourg and
David Traum, Sharing solutions: persistence and
grounding in multi-modal collaborative problem solving. in
Journal of the Learning
Sciences, 15:121--151, 2006.
- A. Eshghi & P.G.T. Healey, Collective States of Understanding in Proceedings of the 8th SIGdial Workshop on Discourse and Dialogue pp. 2--9, 2007
- Gratch, J., Wang, N., Okhmatovskaia, A., Lamothe, F., Morales, M
and Louis-Philippe Morency. Can virtual humans be more engaging than real ones? 12th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Beijing, China 2007
- Gergle, D., RosÚ, C.P., and Kraut, R.E. Modeling the Impact of Shared Visual Information on Collaborative Reference. In Proceedings of CHI 2007, pp. 1543-1552. New York: ACM Press, 2007
- Gergle, D., Kraut, R.E., and Fussell, S.R. Language Efficiency and Visual Technology: Minimizing Collaborative Effort with Visual Information Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 23(4), pp. 491-517. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. 2004.
- Hansen, B., Novick, D., and Sutton, S. (1996). Prevention and repair of breakdowns in a simple task domain, Working notes, AAAI 96 Workshop on Detecting, Repairing, and Preventing Human-Machine Miscommunication, August 4, 1996, Portland, OR, 5-12.
- Yasuhiro Katagiri and Atsushi Shimojima, Display Acts in Grounding Negotiations. The Proceedings of Goetalog 2000, the Fourth Workshop on the Semantics and Pragmatics of Dialogue, pp. 195-198, 2000.
- Colin Matheson, Massimo Poesio, and David Traum, Modelling
Grounding and Discourse Obligations Using Update Rules, in
Proceedings of the 1st Annual Meeting of the North American
Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL2000), May 2000.
Simultaneous prediction of dialog acts and address types in three-party conversations
- Yosuke Matsusaka, Mika Enomoto, Yasuharu Den Simultaneous prediction of dialog acts and address types in three-party conversations
ICMI '07: Proceedings of the 9th international conference on Multimodal interfaces
Y., Reinstein, G., Stocky, T., Cassell, J. (2003) Towards a Model of
Face-to-Face Grounding Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the
Association for Computational Linguistics. July 7-12, Sapporo, Japan.
- Christine Nakatani and David Traum, Coding discourse structure
in dialogue (version 1.0). Technical Report UMIACS-TR-99-03,
University of Maryland.
- Novick, D., and Ward, K.,
(1993). Mutual beliefs of multiple conversants: A computational model of collaboration in air traffic control, Proc. of AAAI'93, Washington, DC, July, 1993, 196-201.
- Novick, D., and Sutton,
S. (1994). An empirical model of acknowledgment for spoken-language systems, Proceedings of ACL-94, Las Cruces, NM, June, 1994, 96-101.
- Novick, D., Walton, L., and Ward, K. (1996). Contribution graphs in multiparty conversations, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Spoken Dialogue (ISSD-96), Philadelphia, PA, October, 1996, 53-56.
- T. Paek and E. Horvitz Conversation
as Action Under Uncertainty Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI-2000), Stanford, CA, June 2000.
- Antonio Roque and
David Traum, Degrees of Grounding Based on Evidence of Understanding
In proceedings of
The 9th SIGdial Workshop on
Discourse and Dialogue (SIGdial 2008), June, 2008.
- Atsushi Shimojima, Yasuhiro Katagiri, Hanae
Koiso, and Marc Swerts, An Experimental Study on the
Informational and Grounding Functions of Prosodic Features of
Japanese Echoic Responses. The Proceedings of ESCA Workshop on
Dialogue and Prosody, pp. 187--192, 1999.
- Atsue Takeoka and Atsushi Shimojima, Grounding-Styles of Aged Dyads: an Exploratory Study. Third SIGdial Workshop on Discourse and Dialogue: Proceedings of the Workshop.
- Thompson, W., and Gergle, D.
Modeling Situated Conversational Agents as Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes Short Proceedings of Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) 2008, 401-404. New York: ACM Press. 2008
- David R. Traum and James F. Allen,
A Speech Acts Approach to Grounding in Conversation,
In Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Spoken Language
Processing (ICSLP-92), pages 137-40, October 1992.
- David Traum A Computational Theory of Grounding in Natural Language Conversation,
TR 545 and Ph.D. Thesis, Computer Science Dept., U. Rochester,
- David R. Traum
Computational Models of Grounding in Collaborative Systems, in working notes
of AAAI Fall Symposium on
Psychological Models of Communication, p. 124-131, November, 1999.
To contribute additional readings or references, please contact the co-organizers David DeVault, Antonio Roque or David Traum.
Last update: September 11, 2008